Thursday, March 12, 2009

Post 23: Downfall of Humanity

I'll be honest straight from the start; I'm not that old, and I haven't seen the world like most have, but I want to. And its important to know things about this world because those things are essential to out lifestyle. They help us understand why things are, and why things can or should be. But my interest does not linger amongst the broad prospective of modern civilization. My focus is more upon the aspect of Homo Sapiens.

My occupation consists of social human interaction. This basically means I simply talk to people for a majority of the day. My job is simple; I take peoples orders, ring them up in a machine, take their money and hand them their change, and thank them just before me and this seemingly unimportant individual part ways. Now, I take it an extra step at times and I attempt to formulate a conversation (when possible) with the customer. This helps me in providing great customer service, but I also keep in mind their position. I would think, "If I were a customer and I were to be greeted by some stranger, what things what I expect to hear? would i repel? or would I converse?" With this in mind I approach the customer in a polite manner and do with it what I can in order for them to "Enjoy their stay" at the eatery that I am employed at. But during my time spent at this position, I've gathered interesting information regard individuals in a much more broader perspective.

As I would regularly stand at my cashier position, most humans tend to make odd gestures when in times of thought or contemplation. Some tend to exaggerate this gesture more than others, but what amazes me is that these actions are subconscious. I then begin to wonder if I do the same, and chances are I do. Another things that occurs frequently is the customers attempt to manipulate me in means of using poor language to address their case of desire. This seems to occur much more frequently with the adolescent individuals that come by every now and then. To be honest, they tend to get rather irritating, for some of them if not most of them act younger than their actual age. In accordance to the behaviors of most of these human beings, it seems apparent that ignorance is a constant role player despite the differences in age.

Whether the customer is only in high school, or way past their retirement age, One thing that has always struck me with slight fury is the ignorance some people tend to give me. This ignorance makes itself known through their anger, through their frustration, or even through their sarcasm, but it is there nonetheless. It's almost as if, to them, I am the lowest of the low upon this earth, and therefor they have the right to criticize my job and what I do. They even try to exaggerate how simplistic and easy it is, but fail to realize the true burden of the occupation. Sure, it may be easy, but it is very, very tedious. There are times when a simple task can even become tiring, but yet I believe that is the challenge of the job; endurance of what the average individual considers "easy."

No comments: